Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week in Melbourne & Visit to the Craft Expo



This Naomi Miyaki Quilt won Bernina Best in Show Award
by Happy Magic

With much anticipation I ventured down to Melbourne for an enjoyable week of Melbourne weather - as instructed, my sister ensured that the weather was picture perfect - great to get out and visit the old haunts and just generally chill out! Bought the UGG boots in Mordialloc and my walking shoes at Southland. With that out of the way, we were able to concentrate on the real reason for choosing a winter trip - the Melbourne Craft Expo!!

Having bought a couple of tickets in the Civil War Bridal Sampler Quilt, I offered (as apparently had others) to save on postage and just take the quilt back home in my bag! Alas - this was not to be and some other recipient will now have the joy of it in their home! Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the raffle quilt, but then I spotted this magnificent Bridal Sampler made by Ronnie Heagny of Glen Waverly! It was exhibited in the mainly applique amateur class!!!

It was the first time that I was able to sit in for the announcement of winners and the presentations for the various quilting sections! I had permission from some of the exhibitors to take some photographs and add them to my blog

Chris Sarong was delighted with the red ribbon adorning her "Jacobs Coat with Buttons" quilt. It is hand pieced and also traveled to Houston for the Quilt Exhibition there! The colours are stunning and the quilting was very much admired!


This quilt caught my eye - called 'The circles of Friendship' it was designed and made by
Margot Pritchard of Corowa, NSW

Then I was ready to do some hunting around for the 193o's fabric I have been collecting, in readiness for a hand pieced quilt - design not yet decided. I enjoyed chatting with various stall holders - and of course couldn't resist adding to my stash of civil war fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment