Saturday, March 20, 2010

21 March 2010



Cyclone Ului crossed the Queensland coast earlier today! We are far enough away for it not to have much effect on us, although the seas have been quite heavy here on the Coast. Early reports suggest that it has dumped 450 mm (18 inches) of rain in the hinterland and still poking along as a category 2! These weather events bring back memories of Cyclone Tracey and the devastion we all experienced. It also reminds me of my very first quilt - a Grandmother's Garden. My neighbour and good friend, Lee, showed me how to make hundreds of templates which I diligently covered in groups of six and filed in long tupperware boxes with a yellow hex for the centre separating each group. I thought I was so clever, but as we all, know pride cometh........

For the next year I kept coming across almost unrecognisable bits and pieces of my hexagons, some unearthed as we dug around the mud and wreckage. Eventually, as we moved on, I started planning another quilt, although this time being rather short on fabric as we really had no where to shop! I used anything that was material - mostly discarded and old clothing and the little dresses that the girls had outgrown. I even used a piece of my others kitchen curtains - oblivious to aesthetics and colour combinations!

I really love this old quilt -put together whilst we were living in Jabiru, and without a clue as to how I should go about it! No batting, just a backing folded over at the edges and the top machined down! I look at and it brings back memories of my mother's kitchen, the little girls running around in their little printed dresses, our long absence from home and husband, rain, wind and of course, sunshine and happy days ahead. So long ago, but still so fresh in memory!




My very first quilt - Grandmothers Garden MK II

See my mothers kitchen curtains!

1 comment:

  1. Saw your message on the Inklingo list -- your blog is working just fine! :-)

    ReplyDelete